"The grass withers, the flower fades, But the word of our God stands forever." Isaiah 40:8

Sunday 25 May 2014

Watercolour Pencil Class

Had a fabulous time on Saturday morning teaching and meeting some new ladies! We focused on watercolour pencils for this class and everyone had a go at colouring an image and then using it to make their cards. These were the two samples cards I made:

Elizabeth Whisson, Flourishes, Orchids, watercolour pencils, watercolor pencils, Rexel Derwent, handmade card
The image is from Flourishes Orchids. The orchids and leaves are dry watercolour pencils on dry watercolour paper then wet using a waterbrush. For the background I have scribbled some orange watercolour pencil onto a scrap piece of cardstock, wet the background of my image with water and picked up the colour from the cardstock and "painted" in the background close to the image. I then used a flat waterbrush to draw out the colour so that it fades to light orange.

Elizabeth Whisson, handdrawn image, daffodils, watercolour pencils, watercolor pencils, Rexel Derwent
This image, daffodils (in case you cannot tell) is drawn by myself in black Copic multiliners 0.1 and 0.3 mm. I then used dry watercolour pencils on dry watercolour paper for the daffodils and leaves and wet using a waterbrush. The background is similar to the card above - wet paper and picked up the colour from watercolour pencils scribbled on a scrap piece of cardstock (my "paint palette" I called it). I used 3 different colours for the background - they kind of "blend" together due to the paper being wet first.

As you can see I'm not big on the "washed out" watercolour look - but in the class I showed a range of different techniques to give everyone some ideas / options.

These are the cards the ladies made:
 
Image from Crafter's Companion - Strawberry Kisses - Little Miss
Gorgeous little cat and love the purple theme throughout this card :-)

Image from AnnaBelle Stamps - Lil Monster Gone Fishing
I think this one is absolutely gorgeous! She has done a great job and I love the water!

Image from Flourishes - Sunflowers
The colouring is beautiful and I love the blue washed background. Always love her additions of Stickles and pearls/rhinestones :-)

Image from AnnaBelle Stamps - A Beautiful Day
This is one of my favourite images from AnnaBelle Stamps and I love the colour combination this lady has chosen. Also love the stickles and glossy accents as raindrops!

Image from Flourishes - Berry Sweet
At first she said "there's no way I can colour an image with watercolour pencils" and look what she did! Fantastic job - absolutely love the colours on the berries and the leaves - gorgeous!

Well done ladies! Hope you all had a great time - I know I did!

Materials list (for my cards)
Orchids:
Watercolour pencils: I used Rexel Derwent watercolour pencils (in of 72 colours)
   Orchids - Numbers 10, 25, 23, 26 and 33
   Leaves - Numbers 20, 43, 45 and 48
   Background - Number 10
Stamps: Flourishes Orchids
Ink: Memento Tuxedo Black, Distress Ink Seedless Preserves
Cardstock and DP: Quill XL Multiboard - purple and black, Ranger Ink heavyweight watercolour paper, Grace Taylor Blossom
Other: AnnaBelle Stamps natural hemp twine, Beutron Craft Buttons, double sided tape, foam tape and Helmar 450 quick dry glue.

Daffodils:
Watercolour pencils: I used both Rexel Derwent watercolour pencils (tin of 72) and Faber-Castell Art Grip Aquarelle pencils (mix and match packets neutral, yellow and blue)
   Background - FC numbers 141, 143 and 153
   Daffodils - petals - FC numbers 141, 108 and105
   Daffodils - centres - FC numbers 141, 115 and 111
   Leaves - FC numbers 143 and 153 and Derwent numbers 45 and 48
Image: Hand-drawn by Elizabeth Whisson (myself) using Copic black multiliners 0.1 and 0.3 mm
Ink: Distress Ink Dusty Concord
Cardstock and DP: Quill XL Multiboard - purple and black, Ranger Ink heavyweight watercolour paper, Grace Taylor Blossom
Other: Liquid Pearls Lavender Lace, double sided tape and foam tape.

2 comments :

  1. How awesome that you are teaching others to do a craft that we all love so much Elizabeth!
    Beautiful samples and inspiration you provided. These ladies should all be SO proud of themselves! Gorgeous work!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks Charlene - I was very proud of all the ladies - they did such a great job! And I always love to see their creativeness come out in their cards :-)

    ReplyDelete

Comments are greatly appreciated and I cherish each and every one of them! Thanks for stopping by!

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...