"The grass withers, the flower fades, But the word of our God stands forever." Isaiah 40:8

Tuesday 22 July 2014

ODBDSLC210 - Sponging or Stencils (Week 1)

Hope you all had fun in last fortnights challenge - red, white and blue. I saw some fantastic entries! This fortnight the Our Daily Bread Designs Shining the Light challenge is Sponging or Stencils. Here is my card:

Our Daily Bread Designs, Pennant Swag Alphabet, Scripture Collection 13, Pennant Row Dies, Vintage Labels Dies, Ornamental Crosses Dies, Christmas Paper Collection 2013, designed by Elizabeth Whisson, texture paste, mixed media, handmade card, Psalm 28:7, christian

As you can see I've done a bit of sponging and stenciling on my card. The first thing I did was to make a stencil by diecutting the wavy edged die from the ODBD Pennant Row dies into a piece of sturdy card (I did try acetate but couldn't get my Big Shot to make a clean cut - but the card worked fantastically)! Here's a pic of the stencil:


I've sprayed some Starbursts onto a 5.25" square piece of white card. Then used my stencil (made from the Pennant Row die) and some texture paste to add rows of pennants. In the photo below you can see how the texture paste (the pale green stuff - it was white but it's either semi-translucent when dry or it sucked up some of the colour from the Starbursts) sticks out from the card - isn't it great?!


The red pennants are diecut using the other die from the same set, ODBD Pennant Row dies, and I have used ODBD Christmas Paper Collection 2013. I've added the words "Praise Him" to some of the flags using Our Daily Bread Designs Pennant Swag Alphabet

The verse is from Our Daily Bread Designs Scripture Collection 13 and is also stamped on the ODBD Christmas Paper Collection 2013. I've then diecut the verse out using ODBD Vintage Labels Dies. Before taking the piece out of the die I have used it like a stencil to sponge some Distress Ink Walnut Stain around the outside.

The gorgeous little cross in the corner is also diecut from the ODBD Christmas Paper Collection 2013 using one of the dies from ODBD Ornamental Crosses dies. I have also sponged some Walnut Stain onto this piece before removing it from the die. 

For more inspiration for this challenge please visit my talented design team sisters:

To see all the projects created for ODBDSLC210 or to join the challenge click here. You have until 8 pm Sunday, 3 August 2014 EDT to join us (or 8 am Monday, 4 August 2014 AWST). By participating in the challenge, you have a chance to be placed in a monthly draw to win a $15 ODBD Gift Certificate that can be used towards the purchase of stamps in the “stamps column” in the ODBD store; or to be spotlighted on the ODBD Blog at our next challenge! The random prize winner will be posted on the first challenge of each month.

I am entering my card in Word Art Wednesday #141 - Anything Goes challenge.

Both of my little girls love singing and it's such a blessing to be able to hear them - especially when they sing songs praising our Saviour! I love the verse that I've used on my card:

"The LORD is my strength and my shield;
My heart trusts in Him and He helps me.
My heart leaps for joy,
and with my song I praise Him!"
Psalm 28:7

We can put our complete trust in the LORD - He is our strength and shield. And our hearts should be full of praise and awe toward Him. The book of Psalms are so awesome - there is a song for every occasion. We can sing to the LORD when we feel "down", when we are on "cloud 9" and anywhere in between!

Materials used:
Ink: Memento Tuxedo Black, Distress Ink Walnut Stain
Cardstock: Bazzill textured Bitter Chocolate, Strathmore Mixed media card, Our Daily Bread Designs Christmas Paper Collection 2013
Other: Lindy's Stamp Gang Starburst sprays Time Travel Teal and Rusty Lantern Lime, Golden Gel Medium Light Molding Paste, Helmar 450 quick dry adhesive and X-Press It double sided tape.

Thanks for looking!

8 comments :

  1. What a beautiful card and message Elizabeth!! You are right, He is our strength and shield. What a comfort to be able to go to Him with our Joys and sorrows!! I too am so encouraged to hear my girls singing songs of praise to Him!!

    What a fun and cheery card with that beautiful verse. Great use of stenciling and sponging!!
    hugs,
    Chris

    ReplyDelete
  2. The colors, DP, layout and die cuts are so pleasing yet the sentiment really ROCKS. Thank you for posting this wonderful art with us at Word Art Wednesday. Hoping to see you again really soon.
    Blessings, Carole

    ReplyDelete
  3. Oh, Elizabeth, I love this Scripture verse, and you've really showcased it with your pennants and beautiful colors. And I love how you've sponged and stenciled!! Stunning card, sweet friend! And, yes, taking every thought captive and remembering that the LORD is our strength can make a difference during each day! Hugs!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Very creative Elizabeth!! I love texture paste. It is kind of amazing how it soaked up the color from your sprays!
    Cool card!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Very creative and a very nice card. Jim

    ReplyDelete
  6. Awww, such a beautiful verse and I love your fabulous sponging and banner!!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Whoa! Now that's one creative card using the texture paste on the pennants! Cool! Beautiful card Elizabeth!

    ReplyDelete
  8. This is beautiful...love how you made this stunner!

    ReplyDelete

Comments are greatly appreciated and I cherish each and every one of them! Thanks for stopping by!

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...